Surprisingly, I’ve been reputed in the past week by a number of sources to be considered somewhat of a ‘goody two-shoes.’ Apparently, impressions from others have resulted in an initial positive impression of a person who is annoyingly virtuous.
As you might imagine, I was rather befuddled to hear such allegations.
Thank goodness that the negative connotation of the term ‘goody two shoes’ is one whose virtuousness is perceived as insincere.
This new and profoundly unheard of name calling caused me to reflect on the origin of the phrase. Apparently Goody Two Shoes was actually a child named Margery Meanwell who destitute wore only one shoe. After her parents passed away, a rich benefactor took her in and gave her a pair of shoes to wear. She followed the example of this man who she perceived as very good. She eventually learns how to read and write, and then becomes a teacher in adulthood. Eventually she marries a rich man and thus the moral of the story is that if you are always good and progressing to help others, good things will come to you.
I realize I’m not Little Margery Meanwell. Though I do usually mean well. This also reminded me of a hip 80’s song by the legend Adam Ant which also conveys an interesting message with which I might relate.
Within the lyrics:
Don’t drink, don’t smoke – what do you do?
Subtle innuendo follow
There must be something inside.
Or something he's hiding.
As an added bonus to today’s blog, I’ve included the award winning music video. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment