Saturday, December 1, 2007

A New York Minute

Interesting stories out of a week in New York City:

How Global Warming impacts Christmas Traditions

Went to Rockefeller Center to see the Christmas Tree. As always, it was quite the site. There is something about a large tree standing over an ice rink that gives me warm fuzzy feelings about the Christmas season.
Then I looked across the street at the news ticker streaming around the building. One of the stories mentioned that this year, the tree at Rockefeller Center would be lit with new mercury style light bulbs that will save 40% on energy.
This of course ruined my warm fuzzies. Leave it to GE and NBC to try and make a politically motivated, yet capitalistic marketing moment around one of the greatest Christmas traditions in the country. I can’t wait for the wind to blow and a bulb or two breaks and then you’ve got a hazardous chemical accident just waiting to happen.

Rednecks in Times Square

My step-father is a hick through and through. Let’s just say his street smarts were not exceptionally high when it came to staying in New York City, basically due to being raised in Texas. But hey, we’re all children of God.
At first he was extremely hesitant about going to NYC. Then I made the comment that it was Championship Week for NASCAR while we were there. He told ‘the guys’ at work and he now had a reason to go as it made them all jealous.
Unfortunately for me, this meant that I had to get up and be in Times Square at 7am to see the Top 10 race car drivers of the past season drive a victory lap around Manhattan. It was bitter cold, and the lap didn’t even start until 9am. However, we did get a spot right in front at the finish line. Step-dad was pretty excited as it was the highlight of his trip. Rednecks in NYC just don’t go well together for me. Although it was fun to watch them try to hail a cab, or cross the street.

The Truth about Women and Shoes

Growing up, my mother made me go shopping with her for hours on end. I learned how to be patient in a department store at a very young age. One thing I didn’t realize until this past week is the manner in which women select shoes to buy.
I recognize that shoes for women are like a birth right. As I was in one of those moments of being patient while my mother shopped, I experienced a great educational experience.
I watched as women would get anywhere from 6 to 10 pairs of shoes to try on. Now, I can understand that you want to test things out before you buy. However, most women admit to me that they trade comfort for fashion when it comes to shoes. Meaning, they wear what looks good even if it doesn’t feel good. If this is universally true, then I fail to understand why they would need to try them on, especially so many different pair. If comfort isn’t going to matter in the end anyway, pick whatever you want and buy it.
Maybe my patience was growing thin at this point.

3 comments:

Tamara said...

oh micah. trying on shoes has nothing to do with comfort really. moreso, we're trying to see whether the pair is a finishing touch to our character.

kinda like soul speaking to sole.

mjd said...

Does that mean that your shoes define who you are? Or possibly that you're not really yourself because you're in some sort of character depending on your shoes.

kathryn said...

I wouldn't say so much that a shoe defines who we are, but it does put us into character. Much like a man would put on a white shirt and tie to go to church, I woman puts on a pair of heels to feel empowered or some strappy sandals to feel sexy and summery.

You know what they say, if the shoe fits your mood...