
Normally I’m not a big movie goer. Nor am I one to talk about, discuss, or rate the cinema. I have a few friends that would do more justice in those aspects. I do usually know what is playing, who is starring in them, and what the story is about. (I read a lot.) I find that I get into a movie and within 15 minutes begin to think about all of the productive things I could be doing instead of watching a movie.
However, I took the opportunity with my time in New York City to take in an independent film called, ‘Starting Out in the Evening.’
I saw the trailer to this film last week while perusing the http://apple.com/trailers site. I also found out that it would be a limited engagement release. This was discouraging because most limited release films are limited from coming to Salt Lake City.
Frank Langella plays Leonard Schiller, a well respected but washed up novelist in his 70’s struggling to finish his final novel. Lauren Ambrose (Six Feet Under) plays a boldly ambitious grad student at Brown University finishing her Master’s Thesis on Schiller. Coupled with this storyline is the relationship Schiller has with his daughter and the choices she is making with life and love in conjunction with her 40th birthday. Some critics have mentioned Academy Award potential from the acting in this film.
I’m going to leave the reviews and story synopsis to the experts. What I will tell you is that even in New York, I had to find an obscure theater off of 5th avenue to watch the film. The $11 I spent was the best eleven bucks I’ve spent on a movie in quite sometime. It wasn’t until the closing moments of the film that I remembered that I was in New York and in an old theater. (with a mezzanine and non-stadium seating.)
I dragged my skeptical mother and narcoleptic brother, who never makes it through a movie without sleeping, to the show with me. Not only did my brother make it through the film, he really enjoyed it too. My mother made the comment that the film was extremely well written and the performances were remarkable. In relation to the writing, we all agreed that it was a film that was an intellectual and thought provoking film. My mother felt that it was written, “Over the head” of most mainstream movie goers.
All in all, I still will not dictate to you whether you should see this film or not. I would encourage you to take a look at what’s out there about this film, If you came to the same intrigue I did, and if you’re in NYC or LA, look into going. Otherwise for all of the rest of you little-city folk, remember this blog a few months from now when you’re at the local Blockbuster trying to decide on a great new release to watch.
However, I took the opportunity with my time in New York City to take in an independent film called, ‘Starting Out in the Evening.’
I saw the trailer to this film last week while perusing the http://apple.com/trailers site. I also found out that it would be a limited engagement release. This was discouraging because most limited release films are limited from coming to Salt Lake City.
Frank Langella plays Leonard Schiller, a well respected but washed up novelist in his 70’s struggling to finish his final novel. Lauren Ambrose (Six Feet Under) plays a boldly ambitious grad student at Brown University finishing her Master’s Thesis on Schiller. Coupled with this storyline is the relationship Schiller has with his daughter and the choices she is making with life and love in conjunction with her 40th birthday. Some critics have mentioned Academy Award potential from the acting in this film.
I’m going to leave the reviews and story synopsis to the experts. What I will tell you is that even in New York, I had to find an obscure theater off of 5th avenue to watch the film. The $11 I spent was the best eleven bucks I’ve spent on a movie in quite sometime. It wasn’t until the closing moments of the film that I remembered that I was in New York and in an old theater. (with a mezzanine and non-stadium seating.)
I dragged my skeptical mother and narcoleptic brother, who never makes it through a movie without sleeping, to the show with me. Not only did my brother make it through the film, he really enjoyed it too. My mother made the comment that the film was extremely well written and the performances were remarkable. In relation to the writing, we all agreed that it was a film that was an intellectual and thought provoking film. My mother felt that it was written, “Over the head” of most mainstream movie goers.
All in all, I still will not dictate to you whether you should see this film or not. I would encourage you to take a look at what’s out there about this film, If you came to the same intrigue I did, and if you’re in NYC or LA, look into going. Otherwise for all of the rest of you little-city folk, remember this blog a few months from now when you’re at the local Blockbuster trying to decide on a great new release to watch.
1 comment:
Impressive!!
Post a Comment