Sunday, November 25, 2007

How Quickly We Forget


I make a pilgrimage to New York City at least once a year; sometimes twice. Each time I come, I usually act as a tour guide to someone who has not been before.

The latest trip includes members of my family who have all been here (NYC) at some point in their lives. Some within the last year, so the desire to see the traditional tourist attractions is not as high as someone who has not been here before. This has been a small blessing to me because you can only go to the top of the Empire State Building so many times before it loses the romance of it all. Plus, the first time I ventured up those famous art-deco elevators the cost was only $6, today’s price: $22.

Yesterday however, my step-father wanted to visit the World Trade Center site. Some refer to it as ‘Ground Zero’ but I’ve always hated that term. I believe that if you were to ask lifelong residents of New York, they would silently agree.

I had visited the World Trade Center a number of times before the tragedy in 2001. I know people directly affected by the attacks and that day definitely had an emotional impact on me.

In September 2002, I came to New York. When I arrived at the WTC, large fences were up with all types of temporary signage honoring those who died. Across the street, the fences surrounding St. Paul’s Chapel were plastered with banners, signs, flowers, candles, and pictures of the heroes who died.

Because of the attacks, subway service was altered which required one to walk a couple of blocks to reach the area. At that time in 2002, even two blocks away, there was an eerie silence. As I approached the site, the demeanor among other visitors was one of solace and remembrance. I watched as others would give disparaging dirty looks when someone would speak. The unofficial rule for those gathered along the fence line was one of dead silence. I felt as though I would hear a pin if dropped, on the other side of the 16 acres.

Each year I have visited since. Again, usually because someone wants to see what has become an increasingly touristy site rather than hallowed ground. The trains have returned and the buildings surrounding the large area have been refurbished or rebuilt. Every year there is something new to see at the site in terms of signage or memorial.

This year, however, there was something significant missing. The quiet silence was gone while people carry on random conversation and street hawkers meander throughout visitors trying to sell photos out of books. There are signs that read, “May We Never Forget,” but sadly, this alteration in behavior is a clear indication of memories forgotten.

I could use this as a soapbox for my feelings and emotions on the matter relating to people, the fallacies of human emotions, and national church attendance at the time of 9/11 and its decline since, but I won’t. For the record, I am excited for construction of a new building on the site and have no problem with the sounds of construction and earthmoving equipment.

But what comes to mind are the words of a much greater individual who once wrote:
‘And thus we see that except the Lord doth chasten his people with many afflictions, yea, except he doth visit them with death and with terror, and with famine and with all manner of pestilence, they will not remember Him.’

No comments: