Sunday, February 3, 2008

Why Tiger Woods has Ruined Golf.

I was 15 years old when I discovered the world of golf. Since then, it’s become some what of a gospel to me. I remember being very intrigued with Payne Stewart. He was a great talent in the game who ultimately could have been a formidable long-term champion had he not perished in a plane crash.

His departure from the game did not deter my affinity. I began to play, and sought out the toughest courses in town as my practice area. I’m sure this made many seasoned golfers upset, having to wait on some punk-kid to take 10 strokes on a par 3. Over time I became a little better and a little better.

One aspect of the game that has changed along with my own personal skills and abilities, is the inception and corruption of Tiger Woods.

That’s right; Tiger Woods is corruption of the sport. Now I know many who believe he’s the greatest to play the game, and look forward to rooting for him each week or during each major championship. I’m not saying that he’s a bad golfer, he is good. I don’t think he’s the ‘greatest’ and I surely hope he doesn’t surpass Nicholas on the win list.

My beef with the guy lies in the fact that he’s ruined the sport on a number of levels.

#1 – Cost
The all-time factor for just about anything, I’ve experienced the cost of playing golf rise significantly. I suppose one could blame it on the economy, but it’s also simple supply and demand. Due to Woods, golf’s television audience has doubled, along with advertising and marketing. The interest in the game has grown tremendously because of him, and I honestly think golf would be a better place if it was an obscure sport that a bunch of guys in funny pants played on the weekends.

I’ll delve into more of that later. Getting back to cost, public courses have increased fees over 50% in some places. The demand for tee times means the supply is limited therefore, municipalities are charging more per round. I do not have statistical facts; however, I’ve found that courses which are easier to play have increased fees significantly more than courses which of higher difficulty. This leads me to the conclusion that more people think they can golf when they play the easy courses.

Along with course fees, equipment has also increased significantly. There has been a technological boom in the design and development of golf clubs and golf balls. Everyone wants a club that will enable them to drive the ball 300+ yards. Although having the right size and type of equipment is important, it still is the skill level of the golfer that will produce results. I recall the cost of Titlelist clubs around the $600 dollar range when I first began to play. Now? Try $1,100. Nearly a 100% increase.

The balls are also on the rise, but it’s similar in increase as the public course fees. The more expensive balls have seen an increase in price of about 20%. The cheaper variety like Top-Rocks (TopFlite) have seen 75% - 100% increases per box.

#2 – Etiquette
Along with all of these new golfers come the inexperience and lack of decorum on the course. I’ve seen a stark increase in the amount of divots that are not replaced and ball marks on the green that are not fixed.

Once a white-collar sport, with men in polo’s and khakis, more often I’m running into the beer belly, wife-beater, Dale Earnhardt hat wearing type on the course. They drive the golf carts up to the edge of the greens and spit chew on the putting surfaces. Maybe these people existed before Tiger Woods, but there are a heckuva lot more since he came on the scene.

#3 – ‘Like Mike’ Syndrome
Remember the advertisements of the early 90’s with the song about how everyone wanted to be like ‘Mike’ (Michael Jordan)? Yeah, the same unfortunate phenomenon has occurred in golf when it comes to Tiger Woods. Everyone thinks they’re the next Tiger Woods.

This is especially true when I see young fathers taking their toddler to the driving range and yelling at him as he forces the kid to hit golf balls. (True story, I’ve experienced it with my own eyes.)

Not to mention the amount of women who now think they too are Tiger Woods. Nothing against women golfers, in fact, a requirement of my future spouse will be that she loves to golf. However, if it weren’t for Tiger Woods, we wouldn’t have people like Michelle Wie (a product of a father who wasn’t able to have sons, out on the driving range yelling at his daughter instead of boy.) trying to play Augusta.

Then, of course, after becoming the golden child to the professional sport, Woods has the audacity to support Wie’s cause.

I’m sure I’m coming across as a sexist, but like I said, my future spouse will play along with me. It’s just sad that the ‘Like Mike’ complex has crossed gender lines and now, along with Tiger Woods, I’m being forced to be subjected to it.

Miscellaneous noteworthy third-hand information: A couple of friends of mine work at Nike. Every time Woods comes to sample new products he’s endorsed, he treats the staff and designers like they are disease infested leapers. I don’t care if you’re celebrity or not, treat people like people. I also heard today that someone that works at DirectTV was bored at work and looked up what celebrity accounts chose to watch. Woods? Nothing but porn.

All of this is why I hate Tiger Woods.

It’s been a little too long between posts. To my regular readers, I apologize. A lot of personal changes have taken place, which have limited my opportunity to write.